Apply to a Master’s Degree Program
Except under special circumstances, applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher for all work leading to the bachelor’s degree and subsequent post-baccalaureate coursework. The minimum combined quantitative and verbal GRE score is generally 300 (1000 on the old test). Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, no GRE scores are required for Fall 2021 admissions. The minimum TOEFL score for international students is 79 (Internet-Based Test iBT), 213 (Computer Based Test CBT), or 550 (Paper Based Test PBT). In addition, all qualified applications will be distributed to members of the department to determine if any faculty member is willing to serve as advisors for the applicant. Applicants must have a faculty sponsor in order to be admitted to the department, and are encouraged to contact potential sponsors prior to the application deadline.
Satisfaction of the minimum requirements of the San Diego State University Department of Geography does not guarantee admission to the master‘s program. Department requirements are normally a minimum grade point average of 3.0 and generally a GRE combined score of 300 on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE. The minimum TOEFL score for international students is 79 (Internet-Based Test iBT), 213 (Computer Based Test CBT), or 550 (Paper Based Test PBT). No student will be admitted into the department unless a faculty member agrees to serve as an advisor for the applicant. Some students with strong records may be denied admission if no faculty member with similar interests is willing to sponsor him or her.
Students admitted to the program who do not have a strong course background in geography may be required to make up course deficiencies as determined by their thesis advisor. These courses would be in addition to the minimum 30 units required for the official program.
Deficiencies and Prerequisites
Students who have limited background in Geography may be required to complete specified courses in addition to the minimum 30 units required for the Master’s degrees. The thesis advisor will determine deficiencies and additional courses.
The application process consists of five (5) steps with the following deadlines:
Completion of Cal State Apply Application - Deadline: December 15
Create an SDSU WebPortal Account (See application process link above).
Submit Official Documents (See application process link above). Deadline: January 12
Submit Official Test Scores (See application process link above). Deadline: January 12
Submit Geography Department Application and Materials via Interfolio. Deadline: January 12The program application via Interfolio will require the following items:
- Copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. These do not need to be sent directly from the college or university – photocopies and digital copies are acceptable. Note: This is in addition to the transcripts that you submit to Graduate Admissions (Step 3)
- Copies of GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) test scores. Photocopies and digital copies are acceptable. Note: This is in addition to the scores that you submit to Graduate Admissions (Step 4).
- A statement of your research interests and professional goals, approximately 500 words. Indicate links between your research interests and those of faculty members within the department as well as with other research in the field, where appropriate. You should also provide the name(s) of at least one and up to three SDSU Geography faculty members who would be suitable program advisors. You are encouraged to contact potential faculty advisors in advance of applying to discuss your research interests and potential fit with their areas of expertise.
- Three letters of recommendation – Applicant must provide names and email addresses for recommenders. Recommenders will be invited to complete the recommendation electronically.
- Optional: If you would like to apply for a Graduate Assistantship, please complete the application when you apply to the program and submit a copy of your most recent resume or Curriculum Vitae.
For help with using Interfolio, please view the Applicant Guide.