Apply to Doctoral Program
The application process consists of five (5) steps:
- Completion of Cal State Apply Application Leave geography site. Deadline: December 15
- Create an SDSU WebPortal Account Leave geography site.
- Submit Official Transcripts Leave geography site. Deadline: January 12
- Submit Official Test Scores Leave geography site. Deadline: January 12
- Submit Geography Department Application and Materials Leave geography site. Deadline: January 12
Geography Department Application and Materials
- Copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. These do not need to be sent directly from the college or university – photocopies and digital copies are acceptable.
- Copies of GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL or IELTS) test scores. Photocopies and digital copies are acceptable.
- A statement of your research interests and professional goals. Indicate links between your research interests and those of faculty members within the department as well as with other research in the field, where appropriate. You should also provide the name(s) of at least one and up to three SDSU Geography faculty members who would be suitable program advisors. You are encouraged to contact potential faculty advisors in advance of applying to discuss your research interests and potential fit with their areas of expertise.
- A current resume or vitae.
- Three letters of recommendation – Applicant must provide names and email addresses for recommenders. Recommenders will be invited to complete the recommendation electronically.
Please note: Department applications are electronic and may require you to scan, upload, and/or electronically attach application materials. All required forms will be provided within the electronic application. Please email any additional inquires regarding the application process to email@example.com Send email.