OF THE GIS SPECIALTY GROUP
OF THE ASSOCIATION OF AMERICAN GEOGRAPHERS
Approved at the 1988 Business Meeting, Phoenix,
6 April 1988
The name of the association shall be the Geographic Information Systems
Specialty Group of the Association of American Geographers (GISSG/AAG).
Article II. Purpose:
- To promote the exchange of ideas and
information relating to GIS.
- To promote GIS research.
- To improve the understanding of the proper
application of GIS procedures.
- To develop materials and promote activities
needed to improve the teaching of GIS concepts.
- To promote and coordinate activities and
directions with other professional organizations involved with GIS.
- To pursue charitable, educational, religious,
or scientific purposes within the meaning of section 501(c)(3) of
the Internal Revenue Code.
Article III. Membership:
- Any member of the Association of American
Geographers, AAG, may elect membership in the Geographic Information
Systems Specialty Group, GISSG.
- Any member of GISSG may hold office in GISSG
if duly elected or appointed.
- The AAG Central Office will certify
membership in GISSG each year after payment of AAG dues.
Article IV. Officers:
- The GISSG will be governed by an elected
board of directors consisting of the following eight voting members
all of whom must be members of GISSG: a chairperson, a
vice-chairperson, past chair- person, secretary/treasurer, academic
director, commercial director, government director, and a student
- The Board of Directors will meet at least
once each year. A quorum of four is necessary to conduct GISSG
- The chairperson will serve for a term of one
- The chairperson will be the chief
executive officer of the GISSG.
- The chairperson will preside over all
meetings of the Board of Directors.
- The chairperson will appoint the
chairpersons of all standing and ad hoc committees and be an ex
officio member of all committees.
- The vice chairperson will be elected for a
two-year term. The first year he or she shall become and assume the
duties of the chairperson. The vice chair-person shall assume all
the duties and responsibilities of the chairperson in the absence of
- The secretary/treasurer will be elected for a
two-year term and may serve more than one term.
- The secretary/treasurer will compose
minutes of each meeting of the Board of Directors and transmit
such minutes to the members of the Board of Directors and to the
AAG Central Office within 60 days of such meeting.
- The secretary/treasurer shall maintain an
account of all income and expenditures of the GISSG. An annual
financial report will be presented to the Board of Directors.
- The secretary/treasurer will make all
required information reports of GISSG activities to the AAG
Council and Central Office.
- The three non-student directors will each be
elected for a two-year term.
- Terms will be staggered such that in
years when the secretary/treasurer is elected, one director will
be elected, and in the intervening years two directors will be
- The academic director position will be
open only to persons employed by an institution of higher
- The commercial director position will be
open only to persons employed in the private sector.
- The government director position will be
open only to persons employed a governmental organization.
- The student director on the Board of
Directors will be elected each year for a one-year term.
- The Board of Directors for cause or emergency
in the best interests of GISSG may meet and declare any position on
the Board of Directors vacant by a vote of at least five of its
members. If a vacancy on the Board of Directors occurs the following
- Office of chairperson vacant: the
chairperson shall assume duties of the chairperson and serve the
remainder of the current term plus the second year of his or her
elected term as chairperson.
- Office of the vice chairperson vacant:
any member of the Board of Directors, except the chairperson,
may be appointed by the Board of Directors to serve in the
capacity of vice chairperson until the next regularly-scheduled
- Office of secretary/treasurer vacant: any
member of the Board of Directors, except the chairperson and
vice chair- person, may be appointed to fill the unexpired
elected term of the secretary/treasurer.
- Office of director vacant: the Board of
Directors by approval of a majority may appoint any GISSG member
to fill the unexpired term created by the vacancy.
- Office of student director vacant: the
Board of Directors by approval of a majority may appoint any
GISSG student member to fill the unexpired term created by the
- The elected GISSG members will assume
office at the beginning of the AAG annual meeting each year.
Their terms of office end just prior to the beginning of the AAG
Article V. Committees:
- There will be the following standing
committees in GISSG:
- The Awards committee shall consist of a
chairperson and two additional members, all appointed annually by
the chair- persons of GISSG.
- The Awards committee shall be empowered
to recommend to the AAG Honors Committee names of GISSG members
- The Awards committee shall be empowered
to select the recipients of any awards or prizes established
and/or handled by the GISSG.
- The Nominations committee will be chaired
each year by the immediate past chairperson of GISSG. The incoming
chairperson will appoint two additional members of this committee.
- Nominations must be solicited from the
entire membership by written notification.
- At least two candidates shall be
nominated for each vacant position on the Board of Directors.
- The Nominations will prepare a slate of
candidates for approval for the Board of Directors of the GISSG.
- Election of officers will take place by
written ballot prior to the annual meeting.
- No member of the Nominations committee
may be a candidate on the ballot prepared by the committee.
- The Program committee shall consist of the
vice chair- person and two members of GISSG appointed annually by
the chairperson of GISSG.
- Two of the members of the Program
committee should be appointed as follows:
- one from the geographic region of
North America in which the next annual meeting of AAG will
be held and one from the geographic region of North America
in which the following annual meeting of the AAG will be
- The Program committee shall ensure that
an adequate number of sessions of interest to GISSG members are
scheduled at each meeting of AAG. Special topics, workshops,
symposia, traveling exhibits, etc., of a suitable nature should
all be coordinated by the Program committee.
- From time to time, as needed the chairperson
of GISSG may establish ad hoc committees to address specific short-
term needs of GISSG.
Article VI. Dues and Fees:
- The GISSG Board of Directors may assess
annual dues from its membership. Such dues must be approved by the
AAG Council and by a majority of the GISSG membership.
- The GISSG Board of Directors shall manage
all dues collected.
- Annual reports of income and expenditures
shall be made by the secretary/treasurer of GISSG to the AAG
- Insurement of Income. No part of the net
earnings of the organization shall inure to the benefit of, or be
distributable to, its members, trustees, officers or other private
persons except that the organization shall be authorized and
empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered.
Article VII. Meetings:
- This GISSG will hold at least one general
membership meeting annually, usually during the time of the AAG
- The Board of Directors will hold at least one
Board meeting annually. An annual report of the GISSG activites and
finances will be submitted by June 1st each year to the AAG Central
Changes to this constitution must be approved by at least 5
votes of the Board of Directors and ratified by a letter ballot of
the GISSG membership. Approval by 60% of those GISSG members
voting shall be required.
By-laws essential to the conduct of the affairs of the GISSG
may be enacted by the Board of Directors. Approval of a By-law
requires at least 5 positive votes of the Board of Directors.
Such By-laws will be in effect until the next general membership
meeting of GISSG at which time approval must be obtained from a
majority of the GISSG members in attendance.
GISSG will operate fiscally on a calendar year basis. An
annual budget must be approved by the Board of Directors no later
than the AAG annual meeting date.
Legislative or Political Activities:
No substantial part of the activities of the organization
shall be the carrying on of propaganda or otherwise attempting
to influence legislation and the organization shall not
participate in or intervene in (including the publishing or
distribution of statements) any political campaign on behalf
of any candidate for public office.
Notwithstanding any other provisions of these articles, the
organization shall not carry on any other activities not permitted
to be carred on
- by an organization exempt from
Federal Income Tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue
Code of 1954 (or the corresponding provision of any future United
States Internal Revenue Law) or
- by an organization,
contributions to which are deductible under Section 170(c)(2) of the
Internal Revenue Code of 1954 (or the corresponding provision of any
future United States Revenue Law).
Upon the dissolution of the organization, the Board of Trustees
shall, after paying or making provisions for the payment of all
of the liabilities of the organization, dispose of all the
assets of the organization exclusively for the purpose of the
organization in such manner, or to such organization or
organizations organized and operated exclusively for charitable,
educational, religious, or scientific purposes as shall at the
time qualify as an exempt organization or organizations under
Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 (or the
corresponding provisision of any future United States Internal
Revenue Law), as the Board of Trustees shall determine. Any
such assets not so disposed of shall be disposed of by the Court
of Common Please in the county in which the principal office
of the organization is then located, exclusively for such
purposes or to such organization or organizations, as said
Court shall determine, which are organized and operated
exclusively for such purposes.
Article XIV. GISSG Permanent
The GISSG will select a permanent office to serve as a focal
point for records and transactions. The office will have the
- Maintain a complete and
accurate membership list.
- Publish and mail GIS-News, the
official newsletter of GISSG.