Urban Studies Degree Requirements
Preparation for the major. Total of 21 Units.
- ANTH 102 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology;
- ECON 101 Principles of Economics;
- ECON 102 Principles of Economics;
- GEOG 102 Principles of Cultural Geography;
- POL S 101 Intro to American Politics or
POL S 102 Intro to American and Californian Government and Politics;
- SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology;
- STAT 250 Statistical Principles or
ECON 201 Statistical Methods or
POL S 201 Elementary Statistics for Political Science or
SOC 201 Elementary Social Statistics.
- Students who specialize in Economics must take ECON 201 or STAT 250
- Students who specialize in Political Science must take POL S 201
- Some major specializations have additional requirements for preparation for the major. See specialization descriptions below for details
- Students must also satisfy language and graduation writing assessment (WPA) requirements.
- Refer to the General Catalog for more information.
Major. A minimum of 30 upper division units is required for the Urban Studies Major (12 units of required
courses and 18 units in one of the specializations, see links). Students may include up to 3 units
outside of their area of specialization, as long as the units are listed as one of the requirement for any of the
other specialization. Students should also seek permission from advisors to include 3 units from outside their area
Total of 12 units from the following core courses:
- CCS 355 The United States-Mexico International Border;
- ECON 458 Urban Economics;
- GEOG 354 Geography of Cities;
- PA 310 Management of Urban Governments;
- POL S 422 Urban Politics.
Areas of Specialization