Apply to the Master’s Program
The application process consists of five (5) steps:
- Completion of Cal State Apply Application Leave geography site. Deadline: December 15
- Create an SDSU WebPortal Account Leave geography site.
- Submit Official Transcripts Leave geography site. Deadline: January 12
- Submit Official Test Scores Leave geography site. Deadline: January 12
- Submit Geography Department Application and Materials Leave geography site. Deadline: January 12
Geography Department Application and Materials
Geography Program Application will require the following items:
- Copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. These do not need to be sent directly from the college or university – photocopies and digital copies are acceptable.
- Copies of GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) test scores. Photocopies and digital copies are acceptable.
- A statement of your research interests and professional goals, approximately 500 words. Indicate links between your research interests and those of faculty members within the department as well as with other research in the field, where appropriate. You should also provide the name(s) of at least one and up to three SDSU Geography faculty members who would be suitable program advisors. You are encouraged to contact potential faculty advisors in advance of applying to discuss your research interests and potential fit with their areas of expertise.
- Three letters of recommendation – Applicant must provide names and email addresses for recommenders. Recommenders will be invited to complete the recommendation electronically.
- Optional: If you would like to apply for a Graduate Assistantship, please complete the application when you apply to the program and submit a copy of your most recent resume or Curriculum Vitae.
Satisfaction of the minimum requirements of the San Diego State University Department of Geography does not guarantee admission to the master‘s program. Department requirements are normally a minimum grade point average of 3.0 and generally a GRE combined score of 300 on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE. The minimum TOEFL score for international students is 79 (Internet-Based Test iBT), 213 (Computer Based Test CBT), or 550 (Paper Based Test PBT). No student will be admitted into the department unless a faculty member agrees to serve as an advisor for the applicant. Some students with strong records may be denied admission if no faculty member with similar interests is willing to sponsor him or her.
Students admitted to the program who do not have a strong course background in geography may be required to make up course deficiencies as determined by their thesis advisor. These courses would be in addition to the minimum 30 units required for the official program.