Programs : Master's : Admissions
NOTE: There will be no spring admissions in 2014.
The application process consists of three (3) steps:
- University on-line application through CSU Mentor. Deadline: December 14.
- Official transcripts, GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) test scores received by Graduate Admissions. Deadline: January 10.
- Copies of transcripts and test scores received by the Department of Geography. Deadline: January 10.
All applicants must submit admissions materials separately to SDSU Enrollment Services and to the Geography Department.
University On-line Application
All applicants to the program must first fill out an on-line application on CSU Mentor and pay the required fee by December 14. A SDSU RED ID Number will then be assigned which allows tracking of application status on-line.
Office of Graduate Admissions Requirements
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) test scores sent directly from ETS.
(Institution Code: 4682)
Graduate Admissions Document Processing Unit
San Diego State University
San Diego, CA 92182-7416
Geography Department Requirements
- Geography Department application
- Copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (these do not need to be sent directly from the colleges - photocopies are acceptable)
- Copies of GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) test scores. Photocopies are acceptable
- A statement of your research interests and professional goals. You should indicate links between your research interests and those of faculty members within the department as well as with other research in the field, where appropriate. You should also provide the name(s) of at least one (and up to three) SDSU Geography faculty members who would be suitable program advisors. You are encouraged to contact potential faculty advisors in advance of application to discuss your research interests and potential fit with their areas of expertise.
- Three letters of recommendation and a recommendation form (in .pdf, or .doc) by regular mail or e-mail.
Master's Program Administrative Assistant
Department of Geography
San Diego State University
San Diego, CA 92182-4493
or email to: email@example.com
Satisfaction of the minimum requirements of the San Diego State University Department of Geography does not guarantee admission to the master’s program. Department requirements are normally a minimum grade point average of 3.0 and a GRE score of generally 300 (1000 on the old test) on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE. The minimum TOEFL score is 550 (213 or above for the Computer Based Test of English). No student will be admitted into the department unless a faculty member agrees to serve as an interim advisor for the applicant. Some students with strong records may be denied admission if no faculty member with similar interests is willing to sponsor him or her.
Students admitted to the program who do not have a strong course background in geography may be required to make up course deficiencies as determined by their thesis advisor. These courses would be in addition to the minimum 30 units required for the official program.
Students can view the progress of their application on the SDSU WebPortal after the on-line application is complete.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader.