Programs : Master's : Admissions
The application process consists of three (3) steps:
- University on-line application. Deadline: December 15, 2014.
- Enrollment Services Required Materials received by Graduate Admissions. Deadline: January 12, 2015.
- Department of Geography Required Application and Materials submitted to the Graduate Program Application Portal. Deadline: January 12, 2015.
- University On-line Application.
All applicants to the program must first fill out an on-line application on CSU Mentor and pay the required fee by December 15. A SDSU RED ID Number will then be assigned which allows tracking of application status on-line.
- Office of Graduate Admissions Requirements – Must be received by January 12.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) test scores sent directly from ETS.
(Institution Code: 4682)
Graduate Admissions Document Processing Unit
San Diego State University
San Diego, CA 92182-7416
- Geography Department Requirements – Must be received by January 12
Complete the program application at http://aztecgrad.sdsu.edu/gra/gradapps.aspx.
Geography Program Application will require the following items:
- Copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (these do not need to be sent directly from the colleges - photocopies are acceptable)
- Copies of GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) test scores. Photocopies are acceptable
- A statement of your research interests and professional goals. You should indicate links between your research interests and those of faculty members within the department as well as with other research in the field, where appropriate. You should also provide the name(s) of at least one (and up to three) SDSU Geography faculty members who would be suitable program advisors. You are encouraged to contact potential faculty advisors in advance of application to discuss your research interests and potential fit with their areas of expertise.
- Three letters of recommendation – Applicant must provide names and email addresses for recommenders. Recommenders will be invited to complete the recommendation electronically
- Optional: If you would like to apply for a Graduate Assistantship, please download and complete the following application and upload it to the Graduate Program Application Portal along with your other application materials.
Please note: Department applications are electronic and may require you to scan, upload, and/or electronically attach application materials. All required forms will be provided within the electronic application.
Satisfaction of the minimum requirements of the San Diego State University Department of Geography does not guarantee admission to the master‘s program. Department requirements are normally a minimum grade point average of 3.0 and generally a GRE combined score of 300 (1000 on the old test) on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE. The minimum TOEFL score is 550 (213 or above for the Computer Based Test of English). No student will be admitted into the department unless a faculty member agrees to serve as an advisor for the applicant. Some students with strong records may be denied admission if no faculty member with similar interests is willing to sponsor him or her.
Students admitted to the program who do not have a strong course background in geography may be required to make up course deficiencies as determined by their thesis advisor. These courses would be in addition to the minimum 30 units required for the official program.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader.